This fifth Component of the KEP is coordinated and implemented by the Environmental Protection and Water Department (EPWD) of the MESP with the following expected outputs and related activities:
1. Enhancing the institutional capacity of Kosovo’s municipalities and MESP for implementation of environmental legislation and regulations.
The related tasks are:
- Review and assess the capacity and institutional gaps for implementation of environmental legislation at central and local level.
- Drafting a reform and capacity-strengthening programme.
- Preparation of a priority list of secondary legislation needed and drafting 10 secondary legal documents.
- Assessment of the implementation status of existing Local Environmental Action Plans and analysis of bottlenecks for their implementation.
- Preparation of the strategy for implementation for 5 pilot LEAPs and provision of advisory support for their implementation.
- Preparation of a priority list of basic manuals, codes of practices, standard operating practices and guidelines for the enhancement of major environmental competencies of the municipalities and drafting 15 such documents.
- Review and preparation of a preliminary update list of tariffs, fines and penalties; participation in events for getting public opinion; finalisation of list of tariffs, fines and penalties; and drafting the related secondary legislation.
- Analysis of existing financing mechanisms for municipalities to implement environmental projects and priorities and identification of alternative financing mechanisms.
- Preparation of the list of themes for training programmes on implementation of environmental acquis, with particular focus on air quality, IPPC, EIA, waste and water management; and plan and implement approximately 5 such training programmes.
- Preparation of the list of themes for workshops/seminars and training programmes to strengthen the operational capacity of Environmental Departments within the municipalities, and planning and implementation of approximately 5 such workshops/seminars and 5 training programmes.
- Preparation of the list of priority themes for additional workshops/seminars, and planning and implementation of approximately 5 such workshops/seminars.
- Planning and implementation of 2 study tours to relevant EU Member States for sharing experiences and know-how.
- Preparation of a plan for mainstreaming environmental and climate change resilience in all activities of the component, and implementation the plan throughout the duration of the component.
2. Improvement of communication, coordination and cooperation between the central (MESP) and local level (5 regional offices/inspectorates, municipalities, local councils, mayors’ offices, CSOs, and public and private enterprises) for the implementation of environmental law.
The related tasks are:
- Performing institutional analysis of roles and responsibilities of MESP and Municipalities and recommend changes.
- Analysis of current mechanisms for coordination between MESP, Municipalities, CSOs and private and public enterprises and recommend changes needed.
- Organisation of workshop on current and required coordination mechanism.
- Review of existing set-up for MESP and reporting, proposal of changes, and organisation of workshop to reach agreement on required set-up.
- Review and elaboration of relationships and competence of the different Inspectorates; analysis and proposal on how the system for communication, reporting and control can be strengthened; and drafting any required legal texts in that regard.